05 Jun Weighing the Risks and Benefits of the COVID-19 Vaccine
With the COVID-19 vaccine still young, it is normal to have questions about the risks and benefits of getting the vaccine. The most important thing is to do your research and get the facts!
We suggest speaking with a trusted health care provider so they can accurately answer all of your questions. You can also read information from a reliable medical source.
Let’s look at the risks and benefits of getting the COVID-19 vaccine.
Vaccine Background Information
Vaccines were created to help prevent diseases and fight viruses. They are thoroughly and carefully tested before they are approved for use.
Diverse groups of people have felt a cultural bias when it comes to the benefits of medicine and vaccines, which is why tens of thousands of individuals from diverse backgrounds were tested for the COVID-19 vaccine to ensure its effectiveness across all communities.
The COVID-19 vaccine has no preservatives, pork products, gelatin, egg, or live COVID-19 virus. Medical researchers continuously monitor the vaccine for its safety, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) review this safety data before they authorize its official use.
As with any medication or vaccine, there are potential side effects that can be considered risks. These effects can vary depending on how your body reacts.
Some potential side effects of the COVID-19 vaccine are:
- Redness (at the location where the shot was administered)
- Low-grade fevers
In addition to the above side effects, some more severe side effects have included:
- Allergic reactions: This is a rare side effect that typically will occur within 15 to 30 minutes of being vaccinated.
- Blood Clotting: The risk is very low, but has occurred in some individuals after receiving the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine. Most cases were identified with women who are younger than 50 years old.
- Myocarditis and Pericarditis: Myocarditis is inflammation of the heart muscle and Pericarditis is inflammation of the lining outside of the heart. Both of these have been seen in rare occurrences after the Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. These side effects have been mostly in male teens and young adults ages 16 or older. Symptoms typically began a few days after the second dose of the vaccine but went away quickly.
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome: This is a rare disorder where the body’s immune system damages nerve cells that in turn cause muscle weakness and sometimes paralysis. The risk is very low, and most cases developed in individuals that received the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine.
With the COVID-19 vaccine, most potential side effects after vaccination are mild, but are due to your body responding to the vaccine as it works. The side effects typically will subside within 1-3 days.
Vaccines are created to benefit you and your health. The COVID-19 vaccine has benefits that can help you get your life back to normal.
Some benefits of the COVID-19 vaccine include:
- Self-Protection: The COVID-19 vaccine is safe and works to prevent both younger and older people from getting seriously ill.
- Ending Quarantining: As long as you are not showing symptoms and are fully vaccinated with both doses, many establishments will not have you quarantine even if you are in close contact with someone who has COVID-19.
- Reduces the Risk: Upon receiving your first shot, your body begins to produce the antibodies it needs to fight the virus.
- Protection for Family and Friends: Getting the COVID-19 vaccine will help lessen the chance of spreading the virus to those you love.
No one likes being sick, and especially seriously ill. The benefits of the COVID-19 vaccine greatly reduce this risk and help you stay safe and healthy.
At Our Turning Point, we believe that vaccines are safe, necessary, and save lives. If you are located in the Minneapolis, Minnesota region, we are here to help you make an educated decision to benefit you and your family and answer any questions you have about the COVID-19 vaccine.
As a nonprofit capacity building organization, we work to meet the needs of our community and provide quality, culturally-specific services and training.
Contact us today because we want to help you get your life back!